The Witherill Building
The Witherill Building is a four-story, brick Italianate structure designed by architect G.P. Randall for Henry Pike in 1855. The building housed businesses at the street level and offices and classrooms on the upper floors. In 1905, Liston A. Witherill leased the block and began improvements on the stores. The building was modernized in the mid-20th century with major renovations in 1959, 1962 and 1964.
The Chamberlin Building
The five-story brick Chamberlin Building was built in 1895 and named for W.H.H. Chamberlin who operated a stationery store and lithographing business on the premises. The heavy timber frame building was constructed inside the walls of an earlier three-story structure. The building was purchased by L.A. Witherill, Inc. in 1937 and incorporated into the Witherill Department Store.
The Wilson Building
The Wilson Building was designed by Charles Erastus Colton, a prominent Syracuse architect, who also designed Syracuse City Hall. It was constructed in 1898 in the Beaux Arts style and replaced an earlier building that was destroyed by fire in 1897. The seven-story brick building has a cast-stone facade. The storefronts were updated in the 1940s and again in the 1970s. A later remodeling involved the storefronts and second floor facade.
The Bond Building
The Bond Building is a three-story wood frame structure built in the 1890s. In 1897, a fire caused a partial collapse, resulting in the removal of the third floor and part of the second floor. In 1920, architect Charles D. Wilsey renovated the building for the L. Vinney Company, opening it up to create one large commercial space with a storefront with copper trimming and plate glass. The storefront has been modernized since the 1920s renovation.
Historic photos are from the collection of the Onondaga Historical Association Museum & Research Center, 321 Montgomery Street, Syracuse, NY 13202. All image rights, including those of further publication, are reserved in full by the Onondaga Historical Association. Copies of these photographs are strictly reserved to the editorial use covering the Pike Block project. Any further use of these photographs requires authorization from the Onondaga Historical Association.